Sunday, March 29, 2009

Seagate Support Services [sic] Are Totally Incompetent

I can't believe over all this time, I've not properly uploaded my thoughts to this blog even though I wrote them up and saved them on my computer. Here's another example. The journal below documents an experience with a "high-tech" company. Though it's not given below, the story eventually did end without much help from Seagate. They now leave me alone and I try to buy Western Digital drives rather than Seaget or Maxtor (owned by Seagate).

May 9, 2007 - I buy a Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB SATA Hard Disc from Newegg.com for $79.99 with free shipping.

May 19, 2007 - I install the drive with no problems using the Seagate DiscWizard tool which is their version of the Acronis software to clone my disk. The drive is replacing the system disk on my primary computer.

Jan 18, 2008 - The computer was left on overnight to run a Norton Internet Security full system scan.

Jan 19, 2008 - Awake to find a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) telling me that Norton GoBack was having problems with insufficient disk space. Eventually found that yes in deed, the Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB SATA primary hard drive had failed. I owned the Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB SATA 246 days, 35.1 Weeks, 9 Months or 0.68 years or a total of 5904 hours. I estimate, based on my typical usage including the holidays was 1019 hours. I begin using my laptop as my primary computer.

Jan 22-30, 2008 - I contact Seagate Data Recovery Services (SDRS). I vacillate on how to deal with the RMA saying ship it to Mcallen, TX and SDRS saying ship it to Santa Clara. I explain until I am blue in the face, I need everything off the drive so that it is bootable. Eventually the SDRS salesman says "Just send the drive to us and we'll take care of it", which convinces me to send it to Santa Clara, CA. I go online and get RMA 1000611097. The fact that Seagate has no means in their system to send a failed drive to SDRS and have the physical hard disc replaced under warranty was my first indication I was dealing with bureaucratic incompetent entity.

Jan 30, 2008 - Under RMA 1000611097, I send the drive to Santa Clara, CA using UPS 2-day air which cost me $69.

Feb 5-7, 2008 - I receive word from SDRS that yes the drive has failed. They say that the data can be recovered; it will take 2-3 weeks and cost approximately $700 or more under the basic data recovery service. I am then informed that all they can recover is the data, and they can not fully restore the drive and make it bootable because of Microsoft licensing issues. This is strange since on May 19, 2007 I had used their software to clone my original disc. I come to the conclusion that SDRS serves no service to mankind other than to frustrate and lie to their customers. When I tell SDRS I do not want them to do anything to my drive and ask them to return it to me, they tell me it will cost $15 for them to ship my drive back. My reply is: “I will pay your money grubbing incompetent company's bloodsucking $15 tomorrow from work. The costs of this useless waste of money and time have now exceeded the original cost of the brand new disk. Let your corporate management know that the service I have received in this very frustrating time has created a lifelong vehement enemy of your company only rivaled and equaled by my opinion of Microsoft. I shall share my opinion on this experience with anyone who will listen throughout the rest of my professional career.

Have a nice day!”

Feb 12, 2008 - I buy another ST3320620AS from Newegg.com for the same price of $79.99.

Feb 15, 2008 - I try to use the Seagate web site kludge to get another RMA, this time with the pre-paid return option. The RMA number is 1000646443. I then find out that for some reason, this is not the pre-paid option but the basic option that they will only send me a new drive after I send them the bad disc. I call customer service to explain the problem. They are having “computer problems” and they can’t fix it right then, but they take my credit card information and promise the matter will be taken care of when the system becomes available and I will receive confirmation then. I never hear anything from Seagate again until June 6, 2008.

Feb 26-Mar 3 - I find a local computer repair service that comes to my house picks up my computer replaces the Seagate disc with the new one I bought from Newegg.com on February 12, 2008. The entire disc is restored with no data lost and is bootable all for $120. After returning the fully functional computer and the failed drive, we install the failed drive in an external USB enclosure. Powering the drive on then off and back on again, we’re able to read and write to failed drive. It was nothing more than a sticky drive that Seagate had wanted to charge me $700+ to partially copy the data off.

Jun 6, 2008 - I finally recover from the frustrations of dealing with Seagate’s “Customer Service [sic]” incompetence, I decide to return the drive for warranty service. Knowing that the Seagate web site is frustrating I call Seagate Customer Service [sic] and explain that I want the $19.99 Advanced Replacement service where they send me the replacement. first The RMA number is 1000920148.

Jun 9-21, 2008 - I receive the replacement disc (June 13) and return the failed disc via the prepaid UPS shipping package that was included with the replacement disc. The failed disc is sent via UPS on June 21 and received at Seagate’s Mcallen, TX facility on June 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM. The tracking number was 1Z830E7V9051423442. Matter closed you would think.

July 11, 2008 - I receive two email messages from Seagate. One message is an acknowledgment for receipt of the failed drive. The second message (sent June 10) from Seagate E-mail Support has the subject: “Seagate Advanced Replacement Reminder [Incident: 080710-001485]” informing me that it is approaching the 30 day period and if they do not receive the failed hard disc before that time they will charge my credit card $179.20 + Taxes. My reply, also sent to Seagate Investor Relations (stx@seagate.com) and the SDRS salesman, was: “I have no idea why Seagate appears incapable of proper record keeping. There were three RMAs, two of which were canceled. The only active RMA (1000920148) was the one I returned the drive under using Seagate's pre-paid UPS packaging. It appears that through poor record keeping receipt of that drive was placed against RMA 1000611097 by Seagate receiving.

I have returned the hard drive covered under this RMA using the packaging Seagate supplied with the UPS charge pre-paid. The text portion of the receipt from Seagate for the UPS package is given below. You are not to charge my credit card any additional money. Should you charge my credit card, I will notify the credit card company that you have knowingly incorrectly charged my credit card. I will then notify the Colorado Attorney Generals Office of your poor business practices and ask them to investigate on the behalf of the people of Colorado.. I demand positive acknowledgment from Seagate on the closure of this matter.

The incompetency and anti-customer behavior I have seen in dealing with Seagate "Customer Service" is astounding and almost breathtaking.”

I then went to work, at a large Defense Contractor in the Denver area, and told five people (plus those not involved in the conversation, but overhearing it) in a discussion forum what had happened. I then shared the messages above, (July 11 and February 7) which contain my replies, thus continuing to fulfill my promise of February 7. The universal response was “what happened to Seagate they used to be just a good company”.

July 12, 2008 - I awake to find yet another email message from Seagate informing me that “Your order has shipped!” It is amazing Seagate manages to stay in business. I have no idea why they are sending me another ST3320620AS hard disc, if they are truly ignorant enough to do so. The tracking number is 1Z830E7V4245100704. I haven’t decided what I should do with the additional hard disc; keep it, or just refuse to receive it. I have however, concluded that mankind must be protected from such incompetence and that I need to warn the world by posting this to my Blog!

I remain astounded, breathless and amazed that Seagate is actually capable of staying in business.

No comments: